noun, plural di·chot·o·mies.
- division into two parts, kinds, etc.; subdivision into halves or pairs.division into two mutually exclusive, opposed, or contradictory groups: a dichotomy between thought and action.
2. Botany. a mode of branching by constant forking, as in some stems, in veins of leaves, etc.
We have all heard these maxim’s:
- A) Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.
- B) Misery loves company. So, we cry alone or are we making sure we have company when we do?
- A) Too many cooks spoil the broth.
- B) Many hands make light work. So, teamwork is best, or not?
- A) Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
- B) Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die. Work hard and plan for the future? Or………..?
- A) Opposites attract.
- B) Birds of a feather flock together. Find commonality, or, look for diversity?
- A) Clothes make the man.
- B) You cannot judge a book by its cover. So pajama’s rule, or dress well?
- A) You’re never too old to learn.
- B) You can’t teach an old dog new tricks. Choose cats? Uzair Hassan / Aug 2020 / Uzair.email@example.com / 0097150-6228126
A) Great minds think alike B) Fools seldom differ
Intellectually compatible or just plain stupid?
We mirror life’s uncertainties and the sheer unpredictability of our future. We want to bet on the positive while ensuring we are hedging our bets as well. You can pick one, according to your leanings. And, everyone’s leanings are supported.
In fact, one’s selection of such adages provides an insight into how they operate and view the world around them. Their experiences, their environment, their prejudices or the lack of etc. Their values, their approaches to life, their leanings, their perspectives, their stance on issues, their mindset. In short, their entire being.
Our choices may haunt us or we may remain blissfully unaware of our chosen direction, but as far as the world at large is concerned, one is either on the right side of history, or they are not. Our chosen viewpoints shine the light through the prism of our own thoughts and provide contextual clarity to our life choices. Bringing this all back to “people” in the HR context, if one wants to understand their leanings, simply provide relevant dichotomies and sit back and watch the person unfold as they select from the choices provided.
The current COVID-19 climate provides ample opportunities to see this unfurl in front of us. To some, this predicament provides an opportunity to grow, hone their skills, develop deeper relationships, balance life & work, learn new skills, start something they always wanted to but never had the time etc. To others, it’s depressing, stressful, tough and, is unraveling the social fabric of our society. We all have our own perspective on everything in life. Why not this. We are not talking about being right or wrong. Its simply providing context and perspective on how people take on challenges.
If we were to read everything that has ever been written, one would find contradictions in virtually every aspect. It is upto us to choose what fits our approach to life. Staying positive is a choice one makes. Stay the course.